Call for a Helping Hand

Posted: January 14, 2013 in Announcement, Special, Uncategorized

It’s usually not my style to prompt people to hit the Tip Jar (my Donate page).  However, this month has been an extraordinary one for me.  So, after a good deal of prompting from friends, I finally decided to post this message.

Some of my friends are aware that I’ve suffered with Lupus since being diagnosed 15 years ago.  Creating awareness of the disease is a public advocacy effort of mine.

While usually manageable, once every few years or so, it can get extremely difficult. Unfortunately, that’s where I’ve been for a few months now.  It’s been quite a roller coaster ride.

Recently, I had an unexpected ambulance trip to the hospital and some significant additional unexpected medical expenses … with still more to come.  As most of you who are bloggers know, health insurance is hard to come by in this profession.  I usually do just fine paying my own way, but as I’ve noted, these have been unusual circumstances of late.

I’ll continue to fight through the rough patches and carry on with my work no matter what. I always do.  But as much of the “paid” work in the movement is only part-time and has been spotty lately, I really could use a hand right now. A good portion of my activism is done on my own time and at my own cost.  It’s difficult for me to ask for help, and it’s rare that I do so.  But at this time, I ask that if you enjoy my work and you find it useful, please consider hitting the tip jar.

I’ve come to make many friends in this movement over the years, and I remain always grateful for your support and encouragement – from old friends and new ones alike.

Thank you.

PS – Please also consider spreading awareness of this disease – there are 1.5 million other Americans with Lupus, and the Lupus Foundation of America reports that “awareness of the disease lags behind many other illnesses.”

About these ads
Comments
  1. Patrick Frey says:

I donated, to make Comic Book Guy Bill Schmalfeldt cry. And to make Occupy Rebellion lose her sh*t.

2. lurcharad says:

Hope everything works out for you :) someone’s gotta keep the Meatshield in check :P

3. ConMom says:

[...] Blogger SOS: Call for a Helping Hand [...]

4. Bless you, Mandy. I will help as I can. I lost my wife to auto-immune diseases four years ago; she was in constant pain for 8 years. I know just how difficult your road is.

5. Jersey-Texan says:

Sending prayers and a little more your way. Stay strong! We love you!

6. [...] She explains her situation here.  I’ve seen what Lupus can do and it is not pretty [unlike Mandy]. [...]

7. Ron says:

I can’t believe how many of my friends are spoonies but I had no idea you were too. It always seems to be the good guys why suffer. Wednesday is payday. Il, hit the tip jar then. You’re also in my prayers Mandy. I’m honored to call you f4send.

8. Autoimmune diseases are an epidemic. And having health insurance coverage for the ridiculously expensive and tortuous drugs used to treat them is essential, creating an extremely vulnerable population of people. I relate to your situation more than you know. Will follow on Twitter – wishing you good health patience and hope. @cantbelieve10

9. bevperl says:

Mandy, for some reason I was only able to use paypal. Normally, even though my huisband has paypal for our business, I can usually bypass that and use my Visa. It wouldn’t let me so I was only able to send you $100, damn’t!

I hope you filed for disability, you should qualify and what about unemployment…All these other folks are collecting it but you have paid into it and you should use it now!

________________________________